Whenever a new flagship is launched these days, one common question which is always asked is whether it is Waterproof or not. Same is the case with latest Samsung Galaxy S8.
If you are wondering if Samsung Galaxy S8 is waterproof or not, then there is a good news for you as Samsung Galaxy S8 is water resistance. Both Galaxy S8 & Galaxy S8+ features an IP68 Certification which means they are dust & water resistant.
But, how safe is S8 from water and what are the limitation to this certification, let’s find out.
What do you mean by IP68 Certification ?
The ‘IP’ in the ‘IP68’ certification stands for Ingress Protection where 68 represents the level of protection. The ‘6’ in the ‘IP68’ means that the Samsung Galaxy S8 & S8 Plus are fully protected against all kind of dust.
The ‘8’ in ‘IP68’ means the devices are water resistant for 30 minutes under 1.5 m deep fresh water. The water & dust resistance is achieved by sealing the internal parts using rubber gaskets. It should be noted that IP68 is currently the highest level of IP certification which can be given to consumer devices.
Samsung Galaxy S8 & S8 Plus along with S7 & S7 Edge are only few of the smartphones to achieve this feat of having IP68 certification. The interesting thing here is that Samsung has also beaten Apple as the latest iPhone 7 & iPhone 7 feature IP67 rating.
IP68 certification doesn’t work like as you may be thinking. If you are thinking that it makes your S8 prone to all kind of liquid, then you are wrong as this certification can only prevent phone from fresh water under some limited conditions. If you are planning to take your S8 with you while swimming in sea or at beach, you may need to think again.
Reason being, IP68 doesn’t protect the device against sea/salt water. Sea water can damage your device to an extent that it may stop functioning. There are chances that dust & water may enter your Galaxy S8 under few circumstances.
Must Check Article : Pros & Cons of Samsung Galaxy S8
Here are tips to save your Galaxy S8 & S8+ from such situations:
- It is suggested to make sure that you do not ever immerse you Samsung Galaxy S8 & S8+ in water deeper than 1.5 meter or for more than 30 minutes.
- IP68 works only with fresh water so it is suggested to keep the device away from water running from tap or moving water with force. Extra precautions should be made to check that device doesn’t encounter ocean waves or waterfalls.
- If your device got exposed to water, dry it with clean 7 soft cloth before using. If you have spilled any other liquid apart from water, gently rinse the device in still fresh water immediately 7 dry it using a soft cloth.
- If the device is dropped from a certain height or receives an impact, there are chances that dust & water resistance feature might not work.
- You may not be able to use the device when it is submerged in water as touch screen stops responding during this time.
Although Samsung is offering dust & water resistance but it should be kept in mind that the device is not covered for any kind of liquid damage under one year limited warranty plan.
So, if you have spilled some liquid on your Galaxy S8 don’t expect Samsung to replace or fix the phone under warranty.
Related Samsung Galaxy S8 Articles
Incoming search terms:
- galaxy s8 waterproof
- samsung galaxy s8 waterproof
- samsung s8 waterproof
- is the galaxy s8 waterproof
- s8 waterproof
- Samsung s8 wallpaper
- is samsung s8 waterproof
- is the s8 waterproof
- is galaxy s8 waterproof
- is the samsung galaxy s8 waterproof